[WikiEN-l] Re: Transition to WikiDemocracy

Imran Ghory imran at bits.bris.ac.uk
Wed Mar 10 04:18:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Sheldon Rampton wrote:

> I agree. Here's my solution:
>
> (1) Require people to register, providing a verifiable email address
> that is not yahoo or hotmail, as a precondition for contributing.
> (Alternately, restrict the NUMBER of contributions that a
> non-registered individual can contribute within a 24-hour period.)

Bad idea, the ease of making contributions is one of our major "pull"
factors. Also some people don't have a non-yahoo/hotmail account.

Limiting number of contribution doesn't really seem to have any
advantages, after all if a user goes on a vandalism spree they could
easily use multiple accounts. And having all of their "contributions"
under one account allow for us to block them more easily.

> (2) Unambiguously authorize sysops to take immediate, unilateral
> action against egregious abusers (with clear definitions of
> "egregious abuse").

I don't oppose this in principle, but I think we have too many admins who
don't use admin powers, and I'd hesitate to increase the power of
inactive admins.

Incidently on the "registration" issue, I think we should collect more
information on major contributors (>1000 major edits) in case we ever need
to get in touch with them after they leave wikipedia.

Imran
--
http://bits.bris.ac.uk/imran