[WikiEN-l] Re: Transition to WikiDemocracy

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Wed Mar 10 03:30:33 UTC 2004

Ed Poor wrote:

>Wikipedia has grown so large that it is no longer possible to rely on
>so-called soft security.

I agree. Here's my solution:

(1) Require people to register, providing a verifiable email address
that is not yahoo or hotmail, as a precondition for contributing.
(Alternately, restrict the NUMBER of contributions that a
non-registered individual can contribute within a 24-hour period.)

(2) Unambiguously authorize sysops to take immediate, unilateral
action against egregious abusers (with clear definitions of
"egregious abuse").

(3) Use mediation/arbitration as both an appeals process for users
who feel that have been wrongfully banned, and as a method of dealing
with disputes and allegations of abuse that don't meet the standard
of "egregious abuse."

Finally, I think we should think seriously about the "democracy" part
of "WikiDemocracy." Democracy is a system of governance. It is not
anarchy. There are rules and rulers. It's a better system generally
than dictatorship, but it isn't simply laissez-faire.

I've been doing a bit of experimentation lately with using wikis to
facilitate decision-making within some nonprofit organizations in
which I am active. In that context, I've come to the conclusion that
wikis should be used primarily for facilitation of the process rather
than for decision-making per se. For example, I sit on a committee
that makes decisions about lending policy and loans to low-income
communities in Nicaragua. We're going to try to use a wiki as an way
to formulate and revise proposals, but once a proposal has been
formulated, we'll still need to the committee to vote up or down on
it in the tradition one person-one vote manner.

As a practical matter, Wikipedia doesn't have a way of enabling
voting by the entire community of Wikipedians, but there are a couple
of reasonable approximations that we could attempt:

(1) Have Jimbo appoint a governing committee. This would inevitably
be a non-representative subset of the entire community, but having
Jimbo as our benevolent dictator is also non-representative. The
advantage of a governing committee is that it could be SOMEWHAT more
representative of the entire committee than just Jimbo by himself,
and it could also take some of the work off his shoulders.

(2) Establish a voting system, through which a large subset of the
entire Wikipedia community is authorized to vote. Obviously we'll
need some way to exclude spam-voting by anonymous abusers, but if we
gave a vote to everyone who has supplied a unique and verified email
address, that would be a close enough approximation to universal
enfranchisement for practical purposes.

(3) Use the voting system to create a "parliament" of elected
representatives, whose members are charged with setting policies on
behalf of the entire community.

(4) Alternately, we could try to develop a system of "policy juries,"
through which everyone occasionally gets asked at random to
participate in policy decisions. For a discussion of how policy
juries work, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demarchy

  --Sheldon Rampton