[WikiEN-l] [frankbservices at yahoo.com: Atlantic Charter signed When?]

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Apr 19 01:11:51 UTC 2004

I have no idea if this is true or false, but it might be interesting
for someone to investigate.

----- Forwarded message from Frank Branzuela <frankbservices at yahoo.com> -----

From: Frank Branzuela <frankbservices at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:37:31 -0700 (PDT)
To: jwales at bomis.com
Subject: Atlantic Charter signed When?

A Wikipedia article states that the Atlantic Charter was signed by President Franklin Roosevelt and English Prime Minister Winston Churchill in August 1945 off the coast of Newfoundland....  It would be fascinating to compile a list of all the authoritative history publications that quote this historical event as happening on Aug. 14, 1945. I'm sure it would number into the tens of thousands. The fact of the matter is that the "Atlantic Charter" was handed out as a news release by the PR staff. Neither Roosevelt or Churchill ever signed it. There has never existed a signed copy of the "Atlantic Charter" but "history" tells us otherwise. A quick check of the U.S. Archives will reveal that the source document is not signed. Funny how a myth becomes fact if it is printed often enough and quoted by respected authorities.

Have a Nice Day,
Frank