[WikiEN-l] [frankbservices at yahoo.com: Atlantic Charter signed When?]

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Apr 19 15:25:01 UTC 2004

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>I have no idea if this is true or false, but it might be interesting
>for someone to investigate.
>
>----- Forwarded message from Frank Branzuela
>
>A Wikipedia article states that the Atlantic Charter was signed by President Franklin Roosevelt and English Prime Minister Winston Churchill in August 1945 off the coast of Newfoundland....  It would be fascinating to compile a list of all the authoritative history publications that quote this historical event as happening on Aug. 14, 1945. I'm sure it would number into the tens of thousands. The fact of the matter is that the "Atlantic Charter" was handed out as a news release by the PR staff. Neither Roosevelt or Churchill ever signed it. There has never existed a signed copy of the "Atlantic Charter" but "history" tells us otherwise. A quick check of the U.S. Archives will reveal that the source document is not signed. Funny how a myth becomes fact if it is printed often enough and quoted by respected authorities.

The error in question is not particularly controversial nor is it
difficult to fix, but it seems that Mr. Branzuela is missing the point
of what Wikipedia is all about.  He has the right to make the necessary
corrections.  If Mr. Branzuela wants to pursue his fascinating list he
is welcome to do so.

It seems to me that an appropriate answer to questions of this sort
would be to advise the person of his right to make whatever corrections
he feels may be needed.  He can even be re-assured that the change from
1945 to 1941 is the correction of an obvious factual error that is not
likely to be opposed.  He could even be sent some boilerplate text about
how to edit a Wikipedia article.  We would give him an opportunity to be
a part of the solution.

Ec