[WikiEN-l] Re: Current events

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Sun Mar 16 17:23:35 UTC 2003

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>However, at this point in time, we simply do not have the resources to do real
>news reporting (which isn't simply rewriting news reports by others but
>involves expensive primary research, travel and interviewing). But until/if
>we do, our process of updating Wikipedia in near real-time as history unfolds
>will do just fine.

I certainly don't want to push Wikimedia to move into new areas any
quicker than it can. In practice, however, I think you may find that
you have more resources than you realize for reporting. IndyMedia
doesn't have a big budget for travel and so forth; it gets most of
its materials from people who live or travel on their own dime to the
places where they report, and they've been fairly successful. There
are IndyMedia centers in dozens, if not hundreds of cities now. It
would be nice to see some hybrid of Wikipedia and Indymedia, where
you get Indymedia's focus on current events and its system of local
centers, combined with the Wiki technique of peer review editing.

>So there is no reason
>to divert these efforts to another project for a long time (if ever). Doing
>so could hurt Wikipedia in profound way.

Actually, there *is* a reason. Wikipedia sometimes suffers from an
embarrassment of too many riches. It gets so much traffic that the
server bogs down. One way to achieve scalability might be to direct
visitors to different "channels". (Of course, that would require some
serious prior thought about how to avoid redundancies and
fragmentation.)
--