[WikiEN-l] Chiropractic medicine article and Zoe

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 16 21:00:42 UTC 2003

Robert wrote:

>Zoe is angry because I added factual historical information
>to this article that she is apparently embarassed by;
>Chiropractic theory is an 18th century religious theory,
>one of many created at that time which attempted to fuse
>science and religion. (This is really not a shocking claim
>for anyone read in this subject; this was a very common
>phenomenon.)  According to the National Council Against
>Health Fraud, both its beliefs and the way it indoctrinates
>true believers fits the dictionary definition of a cult.

I would not dispute that religion played a significant role in the early
development of chiropractic in the 18th century and earlier.  That,
however, is a reflection on a time when the objectives of science had to
be consistent with those of the church.  There was no requirement that
the consistency had to be rational.  It is a fallacy to believe that we
are still in the 18th century.

Eclecticology