[WikiEN-l] Re: [WikiEN-l]Japanese Emperors & broken links

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 14 03:43:34 UTC 2003

Not merely are the names an utter mess and unrecognisable to people who are
not already knowledgeable about Japanese history (though the Japanese
Emperor CALLS HIMSELF Emperor of Japan in his own english language press
releases, Taku refuses point blank to allow the designation 'of Japan' to
appear in the title, or even allow Japan in brackets to appear to give the
unfortunate viewer the slightest clue as to which part of the world  the
anonymous emperor was from - we already have a long list of undefined
Chinese emperors, which means people who don't immediately recognise chinese
from japanese will be presented with hundreds of emperors from unspecified
locations in the far east!)

But it is now even worse. He created double, treble and on occasion
quadruple redirects, screwing up up to a hundred links if not more. But he
refuses point blank to fix them. His most recent response to yet another
request to repair the mess was to say

I said I won't. -- [[User:TakuyaMurata|Taku]] 02:52 Mar 14, 2003 (UTC).

The problem is he keeps changing his ideas on just what the emperor should
be. We used to have 'Emperor 'x' of Japan' which he decided to change to
'Emperor X' or 'X Emperor'. Then he decided to change some of those to 'x
emperor'. Having done that, he discovered some of the emperors he so named
actually were empresses. So he did yet another 'rename' to 'x empress'. He
won't say whether emperor/empress should be with a capital E or a small e.
He won't say if he intends to change the long long list of Emperors with
capital Es to small es. And he point blank refuses to correct all the links
his messing around have screwed up, saying ''I love to clean up messes that
someone else made and I expect anyone else to do the same thing.''

He has also changed a page that was listed as Emperors of Japan and which
was changed to List of Japanese Emperors BACK to Emperors of Japan. At this
stage, the entire set of entries on Japanese emperors is screwed up, with
unrecognisable definitions, links that are so loaded with redirects that you
get lost in them, capital E emperors, small e emperors, emperors who have
become empresses, empresses who may still be emperors. And a determination
that the word Japan will never be allowed appear in the title. (To top it
all, he tried at one stage to say in one page that Japan is a republic!!!)

Any suggestions? (short of taking a couple of valium!)

JT