[WikiEN-l] No more date whining, please

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Mar 3 06:41:33 UTC 2003

Please, folks, take the hysterical claptrap and stuff it.

Both "3 March" and "March 3" are unambiguous in interpretation and are
acceptable for use on the wiki, just as both US and non-US spellings and
word usages are acceptable on the wiki.

It is *not* true that Americans will be confused, or will think it's
"Yoda-speak", or will have their poor little brains fried like pancakes
upon encountering the day written before the month. It is likewise *not*
true that Europeans, Canadians, and others will have their poor little
brains fried like crepes upon encountering the month written before the
day.

It simply doesn't matter which is used in any given case. It doesn't
matter if every date in the encyclopedia is or isn't in the same order.
Do try to keep them consistent _within_ an article for aesthetics' sake,
but between articles *it doesn't matter*. If some article has the date
in one or the other format, *that's fine*. If someone changes some dates
to the other order, *hey, no big deal*.

If I see another post wasted on this subject, I will be sorely
disappointed. I'm sure most of you have better things to do, as do I.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

WikiKarma: I have little time to work on the wiki right now, and it just
got wasted wading through dozens of whiny posts about date formats.
Thanks guys.