[WikiEN-l] Do we really want to confuse every American who reads the Wikiped

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Mon Mar 3 05:45:53 UTC 2003

On 3/3/03 12:38 AM, "james duffy" <jtdirl at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding the dates issue:  2 points.
>
> (1) d/mm/yy is used worldwide and understood (and indeed regularly used) in
> the US.
> mm/dd//yy is used in the US.
>
> (2) Contrary to Cunctator's assertion, everyone who voted for the dd/mm/yy
> version is NOT British. The world does not simply consist of the US and
> Britain. There are other countries who use it, and people from other
> countries who voted to use it. Whereas dd/mm/yy is used worldwide (even by
> Americans), mm/dd/yy simply isn't. So if Wiki wants to use a dating system
> that is instantly recognisable to people in 200+ countries, it should use
> dd/mm/yy (or at least enable it to be used). It it wants to have a system
> that is exclusively used by one, it should require everyone else adapt and
> use the US mm/dd/yy.

I didn't say everyone who voted for dd/mm/yy is British. Please don't
misconstrue my statements.

Discussion of the merits of proposals should remain on the appropriate page:
[[Wikipedia talk:Manual of Style (dates and numbers)]]

Discussion of how, in general, decisions to implement policy, should be made
here. It is also appropriate to announce to the list the discussion of
policy changes (or to announce the act of policy change).