[WikiEN-l] Do we really want to confuse every American who reads the Wikiped

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Mar 3 13:28:54 UTC 2003

james duffy wrote:
> (1) d/mm/yy is used worldwide and understood (and indeed regularly
> used) in the US.  mm/dd/yy is used in the US.

I think it's pretty clear that dd/mm/yy and mm/dd/yy should be
avoided, because both are weird looking to a significant number of
people.  4/3/2001 -- what's that?  April 3, if you're American.  March
4, if you're not.

On the other hand, 'April 3, 2003' and '3 April, 2003' are both at
least non-ambiguous.  The second one looks funny (to Americans), but
can be deciphered at least.

--Jimbo