[WikiEN-l] A concept from Buckminster Fuller

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Nov 22 14:56:32 UTC 2002

(I confess: I don't understand what should go to wikien-l and what
should go to wikipedia-l.)

--------------------------

When a wasp is in the house, most people try to shoo it out a window
with a newspaper.  They open a window wide, and then take a newspaper
or magazine and launch repeated attacks on the wasp to try to convince
it to fly out the window.  This is a frustrating and usually
impossible procedure.  It is contrary to the nature of the wasp.  It's
exhausting and usually ends in the death of the wasp.  I would imagine
that some people get stung in the process.

Buckminster Fuller found a better way, a way that works with virtual
certainty, with comparatively little effort.  Here's what to do: close
the curtains and/or shades and/or blinds on all the windows except the
open window.  Turn off the light in the room.  Make the room as dark
as possible, except for the window where you wish the wasp to go.  The
wasp will fly out quickly and voluntarily.

There are lessons to be learned here.  In the design of proper traffic
systems, it's important to not fight against human nature.  Rather
than expecting and hoping people to behave properly at huge
intersections, it's safer to build overpasses and ramps.

In dealing with problem members, we should ask ourselves: are we
shooing a wasp?  Is there a better way?

--Jimbo

p.s. Through a quick web search, I have been unable to confirm that this actually
should be attributed to Buckminster Fuller.  But that's how I heard it.