[Toolserver-l] The Norwegian toolserver

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:04:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Tim Landscheidt <tim at tim-landscheidt.de>wrote:

> John at Darkstar <vacuum at jeb.no> wrote:
>
> > A donation to a chapter within one jurisdiction is not something that is
> > easily moved to another chapter in another jurisdiction.
> > [...]
>
> Why? If a chapter can pay a hosting company for their servi-
> ces with a donation, they should be able to pay WMDE for
> their services as well. There is no need to "move a donation
> to another jurisdiction".

Well, this ignores the political and logistical sensitivities involved in
paying WMDE from outside of DE.

While nothing prevents a chapter from opting to pay WMDE for this service,
I'm sure some members/contributors would be annoyed their monies are going
"out of country" when there are perfectly good hosting services "in our back
yard". I'm not sure on the legalities of Charities in all jurisdictions, but
this could also restrict/prevent a chapter registered as a charity from
sending money out of country.

 In the end, I do not think that hardware ressources are an
> issue with the (current) toolserver. With the backup data-
> base servers on the horizon, replication should become more
> than good enough. What needs to be done, and River has
> pointed repeatedly in that direction, is to work on the
> tools themselves: Make them "stable", make them user-friend-
> ly, identify stuff that should better be integrated into Me-
> diaWiki (interwiki bots, Templatetiger, Geohack, etc.), etc.

Some projects have "bounties" or pay people to improve/fix parts of tools.
This might be something that chapters could do more easily. Just an idea on
how to get money from chapters who want to contribute to things -- and
having a web page somewhere that says "This tool sponsored in part by the ZZ
Chapter" lets members see where money is going. Just a thought, anyways.

Gerald.