[Toolserver-l] The Norwegian toolserver

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Wed Aug 5 11:09:48 UTC 2009

John at Darkstar <vacuum at jeb.no> wrote:

> A donation to a chapter within one jurisdiction is not something that is
> easily moved to another chapter in another jurisdiction.
> [...]

Why? If a chapter can pay a hosting company for their servi-
ces with a donation, they should be able to pay WMDE for
their services as well. There is no need to "move a donation
to another jurisdiction".

  In the end, I do not think that hardware ressources are an
issue with the (current) toolserver. With the backup data-
base servers on the horizon, replication should become more
than good enough. What needs to be done, and River has
pointed repeatedly in that direction, is to work on the
tools themselves: Make them "stable", make them user-friend-
ly, identify stuff that should better be integrated into Me-
diaWiki (interwiki bots, Templatetiger, Geohack, etc.), etc.

Tim