[Toolserver-l] The Norwegian toolserver

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Wed Aug 5 16:35:35 UTC 2009

Gerald A <geraldablists at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > A donation to a chapter within one jurisdiction is not something that is
>> > easily moved to another chapter in another jurisdiction.
>> > [...]

>> Why? If a chapter can pay a hosting company for their servi-
>> ces with a donation, they should be able to pay WMDE for
>> their services as well. There is no need to "move a donation
>> to another jurisdiction".

> Well, this ignores the political and logistical sensitivities involved in
> paying WMDE from outside of DE.

> While nothing prevents a chapter from opting to pay WMDE for this service,
> I'm sure some members/contributors would be annoyed their monies are going
> "out of country" when there are perfectly good hosting services "in our back
> yard". I'm not sure on the legalities of Charities in all jurisdictions, but
> this could also restrict/prevent a chapter registered as a charity from
> sending money out of country.
> [...]

I'm not aware of any such restriction, and in the 27 coun-
tries south of Norway they would probably be illegal anyhow.
But maybe I'm just biased as a German member of a German
Verein that pays for hosting in not-so-German Amsterdam - as
long as the charitable goals are achieved, I don't see a
problem.

Tim