[Textbook-l] public domain works with marginal notes

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 23:28:05 UTC 2003

Karl wrote:
>...I realized that we could put up the works of
> William Shakespeare and allow people to add
>comments and explanations on the margin. That
>would be so cool !! There is no site out there
>that I know of that does this. Little by little
>we could amass a huge volume of knowledge on these
>works in one place that is currently only available
>dispersed throughout various printed texts as well
>as the minds of teachers and professors at large.
>Shakespeare seems like the place to start, along
>with maybe a public domain translation of the
>Bible, or parts of both of those works.

Exactly. Our focus should be on creating book-based
resources for the student; think of all the books a
student is  required to have for any given class
(other than encyclopedias or dictionaries). Those are
the books we should focus on creating (textbooks and
other related works of nonfiction) or annotating (out
of copyright versions of many books that are studied
in the classroom). We could also summarize books in
booklet form (akin to CliffsNotes) for at least books
that are still under copyright and maybe for the
public domain ones as well.

--mav

=====