[Textbook-l] Licenses

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 04:05:41 UTC 2003

I just realized something I should have a long time ago; Our use of the GNU
FDL is completely copyleft. Read below;

:Permission is granted to copy, distribute
:and/or modify this document under the
:terms of the GNU Free Documentation
:License, Version 1.2 or any later version
:published by the Free Software Foundation;
:with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover
:Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.

Note especially "with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no
Back-Cover Texts." Hence, we only give permission to use our text if the 3rd
part does /not/ add Invariant Sections, Front-Cover Texts, or Back-Cover
Texts.

Therefore, for example, Britannica could never legally incorporate Wikipedia's
content and add a Britannica-ad in an Invariant Section linked from every
article. That way, every improvement they make to the Wikipedia content can
be backported into Wikipedia. The cycle of positive-feedback continues.

This makes me feel much better about our use of the GNU FDL.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)