[QA] [WikimediaMobile] Failing MobileFrontend browser tests

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 11 19:35:53 UTC 2014

While the migration from Cloudbees was completed earlier this month, the
MobileFrontend jobs were migrated off of Cloudbees over one month ago.

Chris McMahon sent an email announcing this on June 6 [0]. In addition,
Chris said 'The tests for MF on beta labs running in headless Firefox under
xvfb are reliably green as of today and we'll be working to keep them that
way.'

However, those tests have been consistently failing since early June. After
digging through MobileFrontend test failures done in particular by Jon and
Juliusz, *it's clear that the consistency of the failures are related to
architectural/infrastructural issues*. Jon brought this up on June 9 [1],
with a response from Zeljko on June 28 [2] mentioning that the issue was
known, but that they haven't had time to debug the problem. Fast forward
two weeks, and Juliusz resurfaced the problem with this thread since we
haven't heard any additional information in regards to resolving the issue,
while dealing with a high degree of noise from build failures.

We really appreciate all of the hard work that release/qa/platform/etc has
put into this and we understand that resolving issues takes time. When we
had more reliable builds, we found the automated browser tests to be
incredibly valuable. We want to regain that value so that we can again more
reliably catch issues before they find their way to production.

*Is there anyone currently owning or willing to own digging into and
resolving these issues? Can we get any kind of timeline for resolving this *-
even if it's just in regards to when the issue will be able to be
investigated? In the mean time, let's remove the mobile web team from the
failure notifications until such time that the builds are reliable and we
can depend on a better signal-to-noise ratio.

As an aside - I didn't know the migration work to Cloudbees was complete
until it was addressed on this thread. It looks like the only announcement
about it was made on the qa list, where I and many folks affected by this
change are not subscribed. Please make announcements about things as
significant as this on broad-reaching lists like wikitech-l.

[0] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/qa/2014-June/001515.html
[1] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/qa/2014-June/001535.html
[2] http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/qa/2014-June/001615.html

--