[QA] RVM and/or rbenv

Dan Duvall dduvall at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 2 17:43:39 UTC 2014

> It also supports Gemfile[1], and we use that feature.

That's definitely a nice feature for avoiding redundancy. It seems that the
rbenv developers have rejected implementing that in core,[1] but someone
has developed a plugin for it.[2]

> So, for the near future, we will leave it to every developer to pick a
tool for their development machine, and we are using system ruby on
servers/vagrant?

I definitely recommend the latter. Keep in mind that the (impending?)
migration to Trusty will give us MRI 2.0!

1: https://github.com/sstephenson/rbenv/issues/223
2: https://github.com/aripollak/rbenv-bundler-ruby-version

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 4:11 AM, Željko Filipin <zfilipin at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 9:21 PM, Dan Duvall <dduvall at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> RVM implements:
>> (...)
>>       - traverses directories upward for .ruby-version and .ruby-gemset
>> files
>>

> It also supports Gemfile[1], and we use that feature.
>

>> Anyway, sorry for the long read. It really comes down to preference for
>> developers, and my preference is usually for tools that are less intrusive.
>> That's why I now use rbenv over RVM for local development.
>>

> Thanks for the long reply! :)
>
> So, for the near future, we will leave it to every developer to pick a
> tool for their development machine, and we are using system ruby on
> servers/vagrant?
>
> rbenv looks interesting, the next time I set up a machine I will set it up
> instead of rvm and try it out.
>
> Željko
> --
> 1: https://rvm.io/workflow/projects