[Mediawiki-l] Cannot upgrade beyond 1.6.12?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Jul 6 20:22:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Ragansi <ragansi.ircs at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I'm working on a wiki that has been sitting at version 1.3.9 for
> "quite some time" without upgrades. I've not been able to upgrade beyond
> 1.6.12.  The upgrade path is direct from that point.  I download the
> tarball for 1.6.12, unpack it, run the update.php script and all is
> well.  0 problems.
>
> The pages load fine, everything is editable, the CLI returns no errors
> or warnings.  What strikes me as odd is that if I try and do a "direct
> upgrade" from 1.3.9 to anything beyond 1.6.12 all I get is a white
> screen.

[snip]

> I'm not all that sure of what the problem is at this point, or even
> where I should be looking for answers.  I've tried enabling logging,
> been googleing this for over a week at this point, and I'm not even sure
> which direction to go next.  A pointer in most any direction is utmostly
> appreciated.

Looking at the log results and identifying the error messages in it probably
will help! You don't say that you've done this, so it sounds like you've not
had success at even finding your logs in the first place; without looking at
the data, you'll never get anywhere.

"White screen" problems usually mean you're encountering a fatal PHP error,
but PHP is configured not to display error messages in web output. This
usually means your PHP errors are being logged to a file or the system log
-- google for the PHP settings 'error_reporting', 'display_errors',
'error_log', etc and learn how to use them and how they're set up on your
system.

-- brion