[Mediawiki-l] Benefits of using wiki in a corporateenvironment-how to convience?

Jack D. Pond jack.pond at psitex.com
Sun Oct 17 14:47:46 UTC 2010

Bruce,

You may also want to look at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Security_issues_with_authorization_extensions

It has some great information.  You should be aware that in most "protected"
environments, there are three basic approaches:

1. Restrictions based on user (limiting access to certain users)
2. Restrictions based on NameSpace (limiting access to certain users and
groups to specific namespaces)
3. Restrictions to downloaded/uploaded materials (img_auth)

Additionally SMW+ is offering some additional protections, but that stuff
all comes with a price (version compatibility and synchronization - not to
mention serious questions as to whether or not it could ever be made to
function fully with a Windows environment).

At the County of Montgomery, PA, we use MediaWiki extensively for
collaboration - not only with development (internal and with vendors), but
also for several applications.  However, when we use them for applications,
we generally restrict access via the network additionally.

For Cloud partnerships, frankly I don't see how you could successfully run
an agile implementation without some form of collaborative stack that
includes wiki capabilities.

Good luck!

jpond