[Mediawiki-l] Moral standards

Bernard@bernardHulsman.nl bernard at bernardhulsman.nl
Mon May 31 08:02:33 UTC 2010

Steve VanSlyck wrote:
>> That is a moral standard. Freedom is more important then moral
>> imperative.
>>
> Freedom is subject to obligations. You have the "freedom" - read, "power" -
> to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater. You '''don't''' have a right to do
> so.
>

>> I do not have the freedom to vandalise Wikipedia.
>>
> Sure you do. People do it all the time. But you don't have a '''right''' to
> do so. And you don't have a '''right''' to fill this list with off-topic
> issues. Create a new list, and let others exercise '''their''' freedom to
> spend allocate their time on lists as they choose.

First a response to others. I do agree completly that the moral
standards of others, who use the MediaWiki software, is out of our
control. No mater if its is porn or neo-nazi or some other subject. I
think only legal autorities are able to solve that, if the use of
MediaWiki is outside the legal bounderies.

Just for documentation I summarize valuable posts on this subject and it
boils down (for me) to :

> ...freedom is considered by many to be the more important moral
> imperative.
Source : David Gerard
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2010-May/034196.html

> Freedom is subject to obligations. You have the "freedom" - read,
> "power" -
> to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater. You '''don't''' have a right to do
> so.
Source : Steve Van Slyck
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2010-May/034200.html

There is your wish, and from others, to continue in an other newgroup.
Can you tell me which newsgroup I have to use about the morals standards
of the community developing and installing MediaWiki? And which results
may effect highly this community?
And will each member of this community incorporate the end results what
is defined there as moral standards as their own moral standard without
any further discussion?

With regards,

Bernard