[Mediawiki-l] Possible way to combat spam?

Emufarmers Sangly emufarmers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 00:07:39 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 11:33 AM, Gabriel Millerd <gmillerd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2008 9:43 PM, Adam Meyer <meyer7 at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > My wiki ( www.risdpedia.net ) has been under fierce attack by spam in
> > the past week, and normally I would do the normal stuff to combat it,
> > but my wiki is a little different. The people who use the site are
> > anything but computer savvy, so I cant have them doing the captua
> > thing, or even confirm edit. I even had to hide the login/create
> > account at the top page because people thought that meant they had to
> > create an account, and it was too much work. ( I know, I know).
> >

> So the spammers just use your homebrew /interface/ free for all page
> article construction CGI / mechanism. Its a shame that people cannot
> create an account, your work flow is pretty on target. You could
> always take your custom workflow and queue it similar to a mailing
> list and have the articles moderated.
>
> --
> Gabriel Millerd

Have you tried the SpamBlacklist extension?  It's the only thing I can think
of with no real impact on usability.

If that doesn't work, consider implementing the CAPTCHA very selectively:
For instance, you could set it to trigger only when an unregistered user
adds a link to a page, and when registering.  Surely any of your legitimate
users who are sophisticated enough to add links would be able to deal with
the CAPTCHA?

--
Arr, ye emus, http://emufarmers.com