[Mediawiki-l] Is there a way to limit the size of images uploaded

Norbert Hoeller nhoeller at sinet.ca
Sat Jan 5 16:18:42 UTC 2008

I have run into problems as well with JPGs exceeding 1MB in size. Symptoms
include upload confirmation pages that are blank, blank pages displayed
when previewing/saving Wiki pages with thumbnails of the images, or 'Fatal
Out of Memory' errors.  I have no problems displaying the full-sized
image.

My MediaWiki installation is on a shared hosting server, which has limits
on the amount of available memory I can use.  My suspicion is that the GD
code used to create the thumbnails is exceeding available memory - before
it can create the thumbnail, it first uncompresses the JPG.  I have been
trying to install ImageMagick on the sharing hosting server, but have not
figured out all the changes required to the Make files so that it will
install cleanly.  Installing just the ImageMagick binaries was not
successful.  There are other, JPG-specific thumbnail conversion routines
provided with Linux that appear to be less memory-hungry, but I suspect
that would require changes to the MediaWiki code.
        Norbert