[Mediawiki-l] Followup: MediaWiki under Solaris 10 or Solaris 11 Containers ( Zones )

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Tue May 29 14:43:55 UTC 2007

To follow up on my own post of a month ago: I just build Mediawiki in a
Solaris 11 zone, with no real problems.  I built the SAMP server using this
page from Neal Pollack of  Sun:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/samp_setup.html

This used Solaris Apache, mysql5 from blastwave.org, and php5 from php.net.
Once PHP and mysql were talking,  MediaWiki worked without any
modifications.

I started with  a "small" zone with a local loopback-mounted /usr/local and
shared /usr, /var, and /opt. I built SAMP in the global zone, but had to
rebuild libxml2 and reinstall PHP on the client zone to get all the right
libraries in the right places. Reinstalled PHP the quick-n-dirty way with
gmake -i install, to get the right things written to /usr/local . Of course
PHP was otherwise identical in the global and client zones. I would not be
comfortable doing this on a customer-facing production server so I am going
to rethink this.

Next up: security tightening, and probably php cacheing.