[Mediawiki-l] "Recent Changes" RSS Feed from a Protected Wiki

Norbert Hoeller nhoeller at sinet.ca
Wed May 23 22:51:53 UTC 2007

Jim, thanks for the pointers!  Since I am looking for an RSS reader that
is not browser-dependent, I downloaded SharpReader.  It successfully
picked up a protected TypePad RSS feed, recognizing that it required
authentication and prompting me for the access userid/password.

When I tried to open the MediaWiki RSS feed, it failed with "Error parsing
RSS XML: Undefined root element: html".  I had SharpReader validate the
feed.  The HTML code that it dumped out was the Special:Userlogin page
(line 55 was "<h1 class="firstHeading">Login Required</h1>").  I don't
think it recognized that this was a protected feed.

The reason I'm having this problem is that the Wiki implementation
requires a login for both edit/create and read.  RSSBandit has no problems
with a Wiki where anyone can read the content, since no authentication is
required for the RSS feed.
        Thanks, Norbert