[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Wed May 23 12:49:10 UTC 2007

Here are some http://www.Google.com/ searches and results:

Search Terms:

[install mediawiki apache php mysql win xp winxp windows xp phpmyadmin]

... and so on.

... and the http://www.Google.com/  results:

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Apache,-MySQL,-PHP,-and-phpMyAdmin-on-a-W
indows-PC
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-phpMyAdmin-on-Your-Windows-PC
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-the-Apache-Web-Server-on-a-Windows-PC
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-the-MySQL-Database-Server-on-Your-Windows
-PC
http://www.bicubica.com/apache-php-mysql/index.php
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-the-PHP-Engine-on-Your-Windows-PC
http://www.devside.net/
http://oss.segetech.com/wamp.html
http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installing_MediaWiki_on_Windows_Ser
ver_2003
http://www.sematopia.com/?p=28http://www.yafla.com/dennisforbes/Many-Way
s-to-Skin-a-Wiki-Hosting-a-Wiki-on-Windows/Many-Ways-to-Skin-a-Wiki-Host
ing-a-Wiki-on-Windows.html
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installing_MediaWiki_on_Windows_XP_
-_MediaWiki_1.9.2
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php

... and so on for ~1,100,000 others.

... NONE of which are contemporaneous, complete, accurate, nor do they
include *linking steps and confirmation checks* for the entire suite of
OS/WS/DB/PI/WP/E&E.  Don'tcha love abbreviations?  Anyway, these generic
terms might help structure a "manual", as there are choices at each step
(too many choices is perhaps why no one has built a manual yet?!?):

OS = *Operating System* - Linux, Windows ...
WS = *Web Server* - Apache, MS/IIS ...
DB = *DataBase* - MySQL, PostgreSQL ...
PI = *Program Interpreter* - PHP ...
WP = *Wiki Programming* - MediaWiki ... are there others?  ;-)
E&E = *Extensions and Enhancements* - FCKEditor, PHPMyAdmin ...

I'll contribute what I have, but I have scant little success because no
one else seems willing to return to MediaWiki.org or anywhere with their
detailed notes while on the way to their own success, and I can't seem
to predictably and successfully contribute to MediaWiki.org anywhere but
my own http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Peterblaise page (there's that
ownership issue again!)!

HELP!

- Peter Blaise

PS - "Thank you" to all who contacted, welcomed and helped me off-list.