[Mediawiki-l] Using the hook AlternateEdit to auto-add an edit summary

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:23:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to write an extension, that is intended to provide a
special page with a list of translations. I want to offer a link that
says 'update translation' and when they click on it, it leads to an
edit box for that page with an already-filled in edit summary,
"updating translation to rev $1".

So the links on my special page are like
'index.php?title=Test&action=edit&translationrev=1706'

this is what I wrote:

<code>
$wgHooks[ 'AlternateEdit' ][] = 'TranslationUpdateEdit';

/**
 * Function: TranslationUpdateEdit
 * - Inserts custom summary for users updating translation pages
 *
 * @param $editpage: the editpage (object) being called
 */
function TranslationUpdateEdit( &$editpage ) {
    global $wgRequest, $wgOut;
    $rev = $wgRequest->getVal( 'translationrev' );
    if ( $rev ) {
         $editpage->summary = wfMsgForContent(
'translatorhelp_updateeditsummary', $rev );
       $wgOut->addHTML("there was a rev!");
    } else {
        $wgOut->addHTML("there was no rev!");
    }
    return true;
}
</code>

When I follow the link from my Special page, the edit page says "there
was a rev!" so I am confident my function here is being utilised, but
the edit summary is still blank.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance,
Brianna