[Mediawiki-l] Install problems and deleteDefaultMessages.php (Bug 10862)

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Mon Aug 27 15:49:55 UTC 2007

I just did my first install of 1.10.1 (most of my wikis are on 1.9.3)
and had MacOSX problems with the installer.  However, my usual fixes
didn't seem to work, and I wound up having to comment out the call to
deleteDefaultMessages.  I added a comment on bugzilla, but the bug
there is about linux and I wasn't sure how to change it to reflect
that I think it affects both linux and OSX.

In fact, I suspect that the bug is related to any OS where localhost
doesn't work for the apache user via the net installer.  My suspicion
is that somewhere in the installation, the installer is hardcoded to
use localhost instead of the host provided by the form... or it is
failing to reset the host from the form.  I'm not sure why this
doesn't fail until deleteDefaultMessages, though.

After I commented out the call in updaters.inc, I was able to use the
wiki, but I had to add WikiSysop by hand to the database.  I think
this is an unrelated bug that has to do with rerunning the installer
after trying different hosts in the host field.  It may be good to
add a check for WikiSysop to the end of the installation script.
There was a thread related to this somewhere recently, I think.

Jim
Jim Hu
Associate Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics