[Mediawiki-l] User rights management limited to users you create?

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Wed Aug 15 17:08:49 UTC 2007

My wiki requires login to edit, but allows any registered user to
create accounts.  I'd like to create another user group "student",
which can edit but can't create accounts.

Based on

	http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:User_rights

I think creating the group and assigning the rights is
straightforward.  But I also want the users with create account
rights to be able to create either regular or student accounts.
Ideally, I would want users to have user rights management only on
accounts that they create, and be able to use the regular user rights
Special Page where regular users would only see "student" as an
addable group, and only for those that were created by them.

I'm guessing that I will have to write an extension... but does
anything like this already exist?  It would be useful in teaching
environments, I think.

Jim
Jim Hu
Associate Professor