[Mediawiki-l] Image Scaling on Upload?

Justin Morgan JMorgan at d2hawkeye.com
Tue Oct 3 15:56:24 UTC 2006

>Is there a quick and easy way to automagically re-size uploaded
>images so they fit within some maximum size? If so, a quick "RTFM"
>pointer is all I need.
>
>I have a bunch of folks with 8 megapixel cameras who want to upload
>images. They aren't sophisticated enough to re-size their images.
>They're used to flikr.com (et. al.) websites that simply deal with it.
>
>I can accept the one-time hit of the initial upload, but don't want
>to have to re-size it every time a thumb is generated, or pump the
>whole thing over every time someone clicks on a thumb.
>
>I have ImageMagik installed and working.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!

Thumbnail generation is one-time.  When you generate a 100px thumbnail,
for example, it gets stored in

Subsequent requests for that image _at that size_ are served from this
cache.  It is safe to delete these files too, as they will be
regenerated if necessary.

As for clicking on the thumbnail and getting a resized version, I can't
help you.

HTH,
-Justin

PRIVACY NOTICE

This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. Use of the information contained in this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this email.