[Labs-l] Queries slow

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Wed Sep 2 21:36:10 UTC 2015

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada <emijrp at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is important to have the map online for Wiki Loves Monuments. Please,
> some help?

> Here is the code that access the database
> https://github.com/emijrp/wlm-maps/blob/master/ajaxmonuments.php

> I think that it closes the db conection corretly, but the error.log says
> that I have hit some limit.

> 2015-09-02 16:10:30: (server.c.1444) [note] sockets disabled, connection
> limit reached

> Later, in error.log:

> 2015-09-02 18:32:22: (server.c.1444) [note] sockets disabled, connection
> limit reached
> 2015-09-02 19:06:25: (server.c.1398) [note] sockets enabled again

> But the map (markers) doesn't work yet:

> https://tools.wmflabs.org/wlm-maps/

> So. what is happening?

> [...]

The message is not (directly) related to the database, but
comes from lighttpd, the web server.  IIRC it means that too
many requests are waiting to be served by the web server
which can be caused by the average time a request takes to
be served being greater than the average rate of requests,
but Merlijn dug deeper into that issue in
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T104799 and found out that
(sometimes?) lighttpd doesn't close network connections
properly.

In the past IIRC we had the option to increase the number of
"worker" processes per tool which would solve the average
time > average rate case, but that was removed in
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/148662/, and I'm not sure if
that would be helpful or detrimental in this case.

Tim