[Labs-l] Queries slow

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada emijrp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 21:42:58 UTC 2015

> Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada <emijrp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It is important to have the map online for Wiki Loves Monuments. Please,
> > some help?
>
> > Here is the code that access the database
> > https://github.com/emijrp/wlm-maps/blob/master/ajaxmonuments.php
>
> > I think that it closes the db conection corretly, but the error.log says
> > that I have hit some limit.
>
> > 2015-09-02 16:10:30: (server.c.1444) [note] sockets disabled, connection
> > limit reached
>
> > Later, in error.log:
>
> > 2015-09-02 18:32:22: (server.c.1444) [note] sockets disabled, connection
> > limit reached
> > 2015-09-02 19:06:25: (server.c.1398) [note] sockets enabled again
>
> > But the map (markers) doesn't work yet:
>
> > https://tools.wmflabs.org/wlm-maps/
>
> > So. what is happening?
>
> > [...]
>
> The message is not (directly) related to the database, but
> comes from lighttpd, the web server.  IIRC it means that too
> many requests are waiting to be served by the web server
> which can be caused by the average time a request takes to
> be served being greater than the average rate of requests,
> but Merlijn dug deeper into that issue in
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T104799 and found out that
> (sometimes?) lighttpd doesn't close network connections
> properly.
>
> In the past IIRC we had the option to increase the number of
> "worker" processes per tool which would solve the average
> time > average rate case, but that was removed in
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/148662/, and I'm not sure if
> that would be helpful or detrimental in this case.
>
> Tim

Some minutes ago we saw that the monuments_all table was accidentally
deleted. It is now restored.

I guess that the max connections error was related to this (php script
trying to use a missing table). Anyway, I will check it regularly, the tool
is getting many visits but I don't think that it reaches 300 at the same
time.

Thanks both.