[Labs-l] NFS outage in progress [UPDATE]

Bene* benestar.wikimedia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 14:14:36 UTC 2015

Hi

Am 18.06.2015 um 16:07 schrieb Petr Bena:
> That is actually not that easy to decide on. The biggest community are
> wikipedia readers. They don't really care about labs at all. Second
> biggest community are editors, they don't care so much about labs
> either.
That's certainly not true. There are so many tools hosted on labs which
are used by non-techs (ie. "normal" editors) and also the bots have a
great impact if editors can do there work.

> Developer community is not that big and most of money comes from
> readers. If there was a way for donors to choose which part of
> wikimedia project they would like to support with their money, I doubt
> there would be many of them who would actually pick "labs".

Furthermore, I think it is confusing to just consider the pure size of a
community. It is much more important to see what impact the people of a
community have. Wiki(p|m)edia editors have a great impact on the
Wikimedia movement and readers actually pay to support the guys making
this movement happen.

So while it is important to make reading Wikipedia easy, it is also
important to help the editors as they are the ones which actually make
the content. Readers don't come to Wikipedia because there is a nice
MediaViewer or a nice VisualEditor but because there is interesting
content. This is the point we have to focus on.

Best regards
Bene