[Labs-l] Accessing the databases from labs - A comparison with the toolserver

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Tue Jul 16 08:55:40 UTC 2013

Am 12.07.2013 21:25, schrieb Marc A. Pelletier:
> On 07/12/2013 03:26 PM, Platonides wrote:
>> Except that we could have several IPs per cluster (as TS does).
>
> I'm pretty sure we have no plans to do that ever; if we ended up running
> out of resources, it'd be much simpler to spin off some databases off to
> a new server entirely than set up multiple replication with roundrobin.

No redundancy for failover? You just trust the one instance to give us five nines?

> In fact, that's a very good example of a situation where trusting that
> there is a stable map between shard and database would bite your behind.
>  :-)

There is no assumption that this map is stable. There's just a central place for
a lookup.

I understand that you are reluctant to add maintenance overhead for the
db-to-shard mapping, but my experience tells me that there will be a lot more
maintenance pain if you don't. The difference is just that it'll be the users
who suffer it.

-- daniel