[Labs-l] Accessing the databases from labs - A comparison with the toolserver

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 19:44:55 UTC 2013

On 12/07/13 21:25, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
> On 07/12/2013 03:26 PM, Platonides wrote:
>> Except that we could have several IPs per cluster (as TS does).
>
> I'm pretty sure we have no plans to do that ever; if we ended up running
> out of resources, it'd be much simpler to spin off some databases off to
> a new server entirely than set up multiple replication with roundrobin.

What if the overloaded cluster was s1? enwiki gets much more attention
than wawiktionary.

(actually it should be trivial to add another slave)

> In fact, that's a very good example of a situation where trusting that
> there is a stable map between shard and database would bite your behind.
>   :-)

As previously said, I don't expect a fixed map, just that if the
shard-db relationship changed, the map would be changed accordingly.

-- The devil's advocate