[Gendergap] Survey

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 07:10:12 UTC 2011

I know this survey isn't perfect, but...I've had a really healthy, honest
response from women thus far, and I hope that any female editors here, and
beyond, will contribute. If you know someone who participates in Wikimedia
projects and is comfortable with English, please share it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&rm=full&formkey=dDR3a3JfaTd0aVBiMW1xd2phNXE2R3c6MQ#gid=0

This is an independent survey done by me as a fellow Wikimedian, not on
behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation.

The responses I have been getting have ranged... everything from not caring
about bringing women to Wikimedia (a very small percentage thus far, mind
you), to emotional and heart-wrenching stories about treatment,
relationships and thoughts about Wikimedia.

Not to toot my own horn, but, I've wanted to do a woman-based survey for a
while, with some presentable content that will hopefully benefit the work
that I hope to explore in regards to WMF's strategic plan of closing the
gender gap in Wikimedia. Again, I know the survey isn't perfect, but, after
a large group of folks looking at it...for the laid back and honest approach
I'm taking, those participating seem quite comfortable with the format. (And
if you have personal problems with it, please email me offlist.)

I'm hoping I can present some of this content to WMF in late October.

"Thanks for doing this, and good luck on your project. It's about time
someone actively sought out the opinions of female editors as the stats show
us to be a very small minority."

<3

-Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American