[Gendergap] Pregnancy article lead-image RFC and the lack of junk in articles

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 13:42:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 3:04 AM, Arnaud HERVE <arnaudherve at x-mail.net> wrote:

> very casual instead. Might be my European education, I don't know.

Possibly :) I consider myself a very sex-positive person, but, I also know
when political correctness and "forcing" people to view nudity is
inappropriate. In this matter, to me, it's forcing people to view a really
medicore photo of a woman nude and pregnant and making the article something
people can't view at work. Also, at least in the US Google search, you have
to go sometime before you find any images of naked women who are pregnant.
There are plenty of tasteful photos of women clothed, or women clothed with
their belly showing. I never even looked at the pregnancy article until it
was brought to my attention and i was like "Whoa, okay...whoa." But, I'm a
[[childless]] person by choice, and the whole concept of pregnancy makes me
anxious ;-)

I was trying to think of an example of something that might be relevant to
men. I looked at the [[vasectomy]] article and was happy to see that there
was a medical drawing of a groin, and not someone's privates at the first
image (aguughhhh), but, you scroll down a bit and there it is, but, I
expected it.

[[Castration]] is the same, actually, I'm more shocked by this one because
there IS NOT a photo of a castrated man. What the hell is that about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castration   We also have a ton of photos
(gahhh!!!) of castrated guys. Who wants to spend time adding a photo to the
castration article? Anyone....? ;)  We have artwork, but not junk. The last
conversation that took place about this was in 2006, where a user cried "
goat.se": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Castration#pictures.3F And
people getting grossed out by a horse castration (ughh).

> I think that for medical articles, all the relevant body parts must be
> fully exposed. And believe me I have seen much worse than a healthy
> pregnant woman, because i do website editing for a faculty of medicine.

Well we need a photo on the castration page.  But, you also work in an
environment where nude medical images are acceptable. Many of us aren't in
that environment :) Many of us also like surprises, but not naked surprises
(outside of perhaps your love life).

Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for the Wikimedia
Foundation<http://www.glamwiki.org>