[Gendergap] fyi: Gender Bias in Wikipedia and Britannica

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 2 21:39:30 UTC 2011

Thanks for the article link, Joseph. I haven't yet finished the article,
but I do have a couple of preliminary questions:

* Do you know what the ratio of male to female contributors is at
Encyclopedia Britannica?
* Why the emphasis on female biographies? It seems like a weak indicator
of gender bias (as reflected by the WikiSym study). Do we really know
that women are significantly more likely to write about women than men
are? If so, how much more likely?

Ryan Kaldari