[Gendergap] fyi: Gender Bias in Wikipedia and Britannica

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 18:00:38 UTC 2011

Thanks for sharing your research, Joseph!

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Joseph Reagle <joseph.2011 at reagle.org>wrote:

> **
>

> http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/social/wikipedia/gender-bias-in-wp-eb
>

> Abstract: Is there a bias in the against women's representation in
> Wikipedia biographies? Thousands of biographical subjects, from six sources,
> are compared against the English-language Wikipedia and the online
> Encyclopædia Britannica with respect to coverage, gender representation, and
> article length. We conclude that Wikipedia provides better coverage and
> longer articles, that Wikipedia typically has more articles on women than
> Britannica in absolute terms, but Wikipedia articles on women are more
> likely to be missing than articles on men relative to Britannica. For both
> reference works, article length did not consistently differ by gender.

GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for the Wikimedia
Foundation<http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American
Art<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SarahStierch>
and
Sarah Stierch Consulting
*Historical, cultural & artistic research & advising.*