[Gendergap] fyi: Gender Bias in Wikipedia and Britannica

Lennart Guldbrandsson l_guldbrandsson at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 2 22:02:50 UTC 2011

Interesting!

I don't know if you know about the categories that exist on some Wikipedias, for instance German and Swedish Wikipedia: namely the categories for articles about men and women respectively. On Swedish you can find the super-category here:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategori:Personer_efter_k%C3%B6n

Män = Men
Kvinnor = Women

Those numbers suggest that for each article about a woman on Swedish Wikipedia, there are 4,29 about men. That is a little bit better than the German Wikipedia (1 woman, 5,85 men).

As you can see from the interwiki links, some other languages also have these categories. English Wikipedia in fact have an impressive 1,65 articles about *women* for every article about men. All *38* of the women article towers of the 23 men articles :-) Time to fill in those categories?

Best wishes,

Lennart

Lennart Guldbrandsson,
Wikimedia Sverige http://wikimedia.se