[Gendergap] [Commons-l] Fwd: Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 10:31:33 UTC 2011

This response here is emblematic of the misogyny and ageism pervading Commons:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File_talk%3AOn_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg&action=historysubmit&diff=54489618&oldid=54483841
Coming up with "stuff old women like" would actually be a good idea, but I don't think thecontributor meant it that way.
At this deletion request
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Paleis_lange_voorhout.jpg
I pointed out that the creator of the manga image placed it on a photograph of the Escher museum, making it appear his image appeared there. This is deceptive, and against Commons image guidelines. The only response to the deletion request so far is a Keep.
The request to remove featured status from the Edge of the World manga image, startedindependently of our discussions by a Russian Wikipedia editor, is heading for a Keep:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Featured_picture_candidates/removal/File:On_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg
Here is the original nomination:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Featured_picture_candidates/File:On_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg
The image failed to achieve featured status in German Wikipedia:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Kandidaten_f%C3%BCr_exzellente_Bilder/Archiv2011/1#On_the_edge_.E2.80.93_2._Januar_bis_16._Januar_-_Contra
7 for, 8 against, which based on objective criteria of artistic and educational merit is still kindto the image.
I am thinking of writing a letter to the Commons Village Pump to ask the community to takea long hard look at its basic competence.
Sue, any ideas?
Andreas