[Gendergap] FW: Proposal: Forking gendergap: Main list for women and transgender, sublist for male supporters

Nepenthe topazbutterfly at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 21:12:46 UTC 2011

It is remarkable that, when faced with a gap of this nature, that one could
come to the conclusion that it is not a gender issue, as if it were merely
that millions (billions?) of members of one social class had individual
difficulties dealing with members of another social class and that for some
strange and unknowable reason these difficulties did not flow in the other
direction. Is the solution mass therapy?

Do I have the same problem in person? Yes, I, like many women, have been
socialized since toddlerhood to defer to men, to play subservient roles and
to withhold my opinions if they are controversial. I, like many women, have
had terrible things happen to me merely because I am a woman.  I bring this
all with me when I sit down to edit. That there are exceptional women who,
either from not having had these experiences or have been able to over come
them, are able to successfully negotiate a world made for men does not mean
that the many women like me are not real or important.

There is a problem, not a "problem".

Nepenthe