[Gendergap] RecentChangesCamp 2011 Boston

Steven Walling swalling at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 24 04:22:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Laura Hale <laura at fanhistory.com> wrote:

> Rambling a bit and hello.
>
> RecentChangesCamp 2011 Boston is coming up in March.  Details can be found
> at http://recentchangescamp.org/wiki/Boston .  RecentChangesCamp is a wiki
> related conference that utilizes open space.  That means the attendees
> basically set the agenda when they arrive. In the past, women have been
> heavily involved with organizing the event.  At the most recent
> RecentChangesCamp in Canberra, we had probably 25% of our participants as
> women.  That's a bit above the norm for Wikimedia related projects, so we
> were very happy.  Wikimedia Foundation has been tremendously supportive of
> this conference in the past, by either providing funding or sending staff.
>
> This is a great chance for people to get together and talk in small groups
> about issues related to women's participation on wikis, how to increase
> participation, talk about research being done on wikis as it pertains to
> women's needs, to start planning for future events related to women and
> wikis, and to network.
>
> As some one involved with RecentChangesCamp in the past, I've noticed a
> fair amount of leadership amongst women in organizing the conference.  This
> type of involvement in the background, as an organizer, probably isn't
> acknowledged or given as much as importance as editing but it can play a big
> role in shaping things.  Discussing that at RecentChangesCamp, seeing how
> that plays out, would also be very interesting.

I just wanted to say that, speaking personally not as a staff member, that I
have always enjoyed RCC and would encourage anyone interested to attend. I
actually met some staff there for the first time before ever getting to go
to Wikimania, and it's a good environment for having discussions about
culture in wiki projects of all kinds. (It's also usually free, that helps.)

--
Steven Walling
Fellow at Wikimedia Foundation