[Foundation-l] Board Resolutions from March 30th 2012

Michael Peel michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk
Fri Mar 30 21:52:51 UTC 2012

"We ask the Executive Director not to allow any additional chapters to payment process, until the Board revisits the framework for fundraising and payment processing in late 2015 in advance of the November 2016 fundraising campaign."

This is very disappointing. It's a real shame that chapters aside from WMDE, WMFR, WMUK and WMCH aren't being given any encouragement to develop their capabilities for handling donations. I have to say that I think this is a fundamental misstep for the Wikimedia movement, and one that we will come to regret in the future.

On voting transparency: this is a great step forward. However, I would encourage the WMF to take a further step, and to explain why trustees voted approve/abstain/against. This could potentially be done by (for examples) adding notes next to votes explaining reservations or key supporting factors, or by making resolutions more focused (e.g. the fundraising decision could have been split into four: principles, chapter payment processing, four chapters, and additional chapters, which would have provided more insight here).

Thanks,
Mike Peel
(Personal viewpoint)