[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 21 17:56:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 05:01:04PM +0200, Kanzlei wrote:

> The real problem are people who are unaware of womens and other
> nations citizens needs, who are the reason why we need this filter
> urgently. In their opinion the "market worth" of women is so low, no
> efforts should be untertaken to involve them in collecting the
> global knowledge.

On the one hand, I very strongly doubt that an image filter is a good idea for
such people. (They'll have to speak up about it, and I'm quite happy
to form consensus with them.)

On the other hand, maybe the only way to do this is to give them the
filter, but ultimately not give them wikipedia. (to make a
long and complex story rather too short. Please read other threads for
more detail and nuance.)

> Solution:
> +1

Google+ is NOT a good example to bring up with me right now.:-P
I recently deleted my Google account after a friend got burned by G+,
specifically the (apparently!) women-or-other-culture unfriendly aspects.

In general:
There's a big difference between:
1. "I am all for the rights of x,y,z and will do a,b,c"
2. "I am here and willing to listen to you, and reach consensus"

1. Is political posturing. Sometimes a,b,c are nothing to do with the
rights of x,y,z. Often this kind of thing is well meant, but if you
aren't actually talking with x,y,z; you're assuming.

2. Is a promise to engage with all people, and a commitment to resolve their needs in a practical manner.

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning