[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Sep 22 21:55:51 UTC 2011

On 21 September 2011 14:14, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> The real problem here is that if there was a real market for stupid
> sites like that, they would already be there. And they are not, which
> does seem to point to the conclusion that there isn't a real market
> for such sites. Doesn't it?

Not really.

There are basically no major WP-derivative sites of any kind in
existence - the ones that exist are either plain dumps studded with
ads, or very small-scale attempts to do something good and innovative.
As far as I can tell, it's just very hard to get a fork or a
significantly different derivative site up and running successfully;
it requires a large investment on fairly speculative predictions.

Given this, it's hard to say that the absence of a particular kind of
derivative site is due to there being a lack of demand for that *kind*
of site - there might be demand, there might not, we just can't tell
from the available evidence.

(To steal David's analogy, it's a bit like saying that unicorns can't
be trained, as there are no trained unicorns. Of course, there are no
unicorns at all, and their trainability is moot...)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk