[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

Kanzlei kanzlei at f-t-hofmann.de
Wed Sep 21 15:01:04 UTC 2011

Am 21.09.2011 um 15:14 schrieb Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:

> [...]
>>> way you achieve all the advantages of "safe" and unsafe wikis without any of
>>> the overheads. I think you'll find that was always the intention, I don't
>>> recall anyone arguing for it to be compulsory for everyone to opt in to the
>>> filter and pick at least one thing they object to.
>>>
>>> Commons is a different matter, and I can understand the concern there that
>>> this might lead to arguments as to the categorisation of particular
>>> articles. Personally I think that it would be progress to replace arguments
>>> as to whether an image is within scope with arguments about the category.
>>> But this does depend on the way in which the filter is implemented; If we
>>> implement a filter which offers 8-15 broad choices to those who opt in to
>>> it, then  those filters probably don't currently exist on Commons, so by
>>> implication we as a community are vetting all of commons to see what fits
>>> into those filters. Such a system also conflicts with other things we are
>>> doing, in particular the GLAM collaborations and the large releases of
>>> images that we are getting from various institutions. But if we go down the
>>> more flexible personal image filter route then there is far less reason to
>>> fork Commons as it makes no difference on Commons whether an image is
>>> blocked by one reader on their personal preferences or by one million. There
>>> would still be the issue that not everything is categorised, but if we
>>> release this in beta test and don't over promise its functionality that
>>> should not be a problem - we just need to make clear that it is currently x%
>>> efficient and will improve as people identify stuff they don't want to see
>>> again, and categories where they want to first check the caption or alt text
>>> in order to decide whether to view them.
>>
>> You didn't understand me well. It's not about fork(s), it's about
>> wrappers, shells around the existing projects.
>>
>> * en.safe.wikipedia.org/wiki/<whatever> would point to
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/<whatever>
>> * When you click on "edit" from en.safe, you would get the same text
>> as on en.wp.
>> * When you click on "save" from en.safe, you would save the text on
>> en.wp, as well.
>> * The only difference is that images in wikitext won't be shown like
>> [[File:<something sensible>.jpg]], but as
>> [[File:fd37dae713526ee2da82f5a6cf6431de.jpg]].
>> * safe.wikimedia.org won't be Commons fork, but area for image
>> categorization to those who want to work on it. It is not the job of
>> Commons community to work on personal wishes of American
>> right-wingers.
>>
>> (Note: "safe" is not good option for name, as it has four characters
>> and it could be used for language editions of Wikipedia; maybe
>> safe.en.wikipedia.org could be better option.)
>>

> The real problem here is that if there was a real market for stupid
> sites like that, they would already be there. And they are not, which
> does seem to point to the conclusion that there isn't a real market

The real problem are people who are unaware of womens and other nations citizens needs, who are the reason why we need this filter urgently. In their opinion the "market worth" of women is so low, no efforts should be untertaken to involve them in collecting the global knowledge.

I'm glad the foundation does not rule according to market worth of women and southern or eastern nations citizens.

Solution:
+1