[Foundation-l] Request: WMF commitment as a long term cultural archive?

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 09:11:16 UTC 2011

Hi all;

Just like the scripts to preserve wikis[1], I'm working in a new script to
download all Wikimedia Commons images packed by day. But I have limited
spare time. Sad that volunteers have to do this without any help from
Wikimedia Foundation.

I started too an effort in meta: (with low activity) to mirror XML dumps.[2]
If you know about universities or research groups which works with
Wiki[pm]edia XML dumps, they would be a possible successful target to mirror
them.

If you want to download the texts into your PC, you only need 100GB free and
to run this Python script.[3]

I heard that Internet Archive saves XML dumps quarterly or so, but no
official announcement. Also, I heard about Library of Congress wanting to
mirror the dumps, but not news since a long time.

L'Encyclopédie has an "uptime"[4] of 260 years[5] and growing. Will
Wiki[pm]edia projects reach that?

Regards,
emijrp

[1] http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/