[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 90, Issue 121

Craig Franklin craig at halo-17.net
Wed Sep 21 09:37:09 UTC 2011

I'd caution against putting too much faith in those raw numbers without a
clear understanding of what they mean.  They can make sense comparing
different language editions of the same project, but comparing different
projects is apples and oranges.  For instance, some months ago I was doing
some research and I found that for Wikisource it doesn't count the "Page"
and "Index" namespaces as "articles", even though that's where the bulk of
the content generation is taking place these days.

This might have since been fixed, and I'm sure that you (Phillipe) are aware
of it, I just wanted to jump in before someone started complaining that
Wikinews is only a certain unimpressive %age of where Wikipedia was at the
same point.

Cheers,
Craig

Message: 5