[Foundation-l] Rename proposal of Kurdish wikipedia

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 13:27:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 00:38, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think White_Cat's nomination is purely without ulterior motive,
> unfortunately. As some editors from ku.wp have alluded to, the issue of the
> name and designation of the "Kurdish Wikipedia" has ethnic and nationalist
> ramifications on both sides of the debate. Several of the ku.wp editors are
> on one side of that debate, and White_Cat (who is Turkish) is traditionally
> on the other.

The proposal is definitely a good faith one.

I've read relevant articles about Kurdish political disputes and there
is no [relevant] political dispute on the ethnolinguistic lines.
Actually, Sorani area [1] in Iraq is actually held [2] by Patriotic
Union of Kurdistan [3], which is supported by Kurdistan Workers' Party
(PKK) [4]. Northern area in Iraq is controlled by Kurdistan Democratic
Party [5], supported by Turkey in Iraqi Kurdish Civil War [6].

If White Cat has pro-Turkish bias, he wouldn't support Sorani
speakers, as they are "on PKK's side" and PKK is the archenemy of
Turkey. However, much more relevant factor in inter-Kurdish disputes
are personal and political feuds, not ethnic tension.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dialects.jpg
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Iraq_kurdish_areas_2003_vector.svg
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriotic_Union_of_Kurdistan
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdistan_Workers%27_Party